We hear it over and over again, “the future is mobile.” Whether you’re a marketer planning mobile ads, an ecommerce business owner looking to increase sales, a developer working to perfect mobile user experience, or you just want to share that epic car selfie with your friends; mobile is everywhere.
Yes, the future is mobile. But so is the present. If you’re tired of hearing the same mobile future mantra and want to see some hard facts, you’re in the right place. Here are 17 incredible statistics about mobile usage both today and in the future.
1) Over 60% of adult cell owners use their phones to access the internet. (Tweet this Stat)
2) 42% of American adults own a tablet and 58% own a smartphone. (Tweet this Stat)
3) 67% of cell owners check their phone for messages, calls, or notifications, even when they didn’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating. (Tweet this Stat)
4) 34% of cell internet users go online mostly using their phones. (Tweet this Stat)
5) Sales from shopping on mobile phones will increase to $38 billion this year. (Tweet this Stat)
6) Sales from tablets will hit $76 billion this year. (Tweet this Stat)
7) Mobile commerce sales are estimated to reach $293 billion in 2018. (Tweet this Stat)
8) 75% of Americans admit to bringing their phone to the bathroom. (Tweet this Stat)
9) 70% of mobile searches result in a website action within one hour. (Tweet this Stat)
10) In the US there are 143 million smart phones and 71 million tablets in use. (Tweet this Stat)
11) Mobile internet access has nearly doubled the amount of time spent online since 2010. (Tweet this Stat)
12) 25% of smartphone owners ages 18–44 say they “can’t recall the last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.” (Tweet this Stat)
13) 76% of millennials own a smartphone and 73% own a laptop. (Tweet this Stat)
14) Marketers spent $4.4 billion on mobile advertising in the U.S. in 2012, and $8.5 billion in 2013. (Tweet this Stat)
15) Mobile advertising is projected to quadruple to $31.1 billion by 2017. (Tweet this Stat)
16) Tablet users spend an average of 50% more time online than PC users. (Tweet this Stat)
17) Almost half of consumers won’t return to a site if it doesn’t load properly on their mobile devices. (Tweet this Stat)
These statistics tell us a story about the world we live in and where it's going. Mobile marketing and user experience are key not just a few years from now, but today. For more information on the mobile world, take a look at this mobile technology fact sheet.
Do you know of other epic stats on mobile technology? Share them in the comments!