Senior Magento Developer Position Summary
This position will be remote with the occasional onsite meeting required in Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor, MI post COVID-19. We would ideally want someone close to either of these locations for this reason.
The Senior Magento Developer is responsible for developing and implementing high-quality, scalable front-end web solutions for eCommerce or web applications using industry best practices and the latest technical trends.
The Senior Magento Developer is responsible for planning out complex eCommerce solutions and breaking them down into smaller tasks that can be assigned.
This position works directly with team members, Project Managers, and occasionally clients from project kick-off to deployment, by gathering requirements and developing solutions to meet client expectations.
What Will I Do as a Senior Magento Developer?
On a daily basis, you will not only work with a great team, but you will:
- Write Magento 2 code for projects on assigned tasks
- Work with CQL’s Design team to define and implement end-user functionality
- Estimate task complexity and development cost in detail (task assumptions and dependencies) so CQL’s Project Managers can provide accurate client quotes and allocate resources appropriately
- Analyze requirements and work with CQL’s Project Managers and clients to determine specific issue details
- Work with CQL’s Technical Team to write acceptance criteria to ensure software solution meets client expectations
- Regularly communicate with CQL’s Project Managers regarding task-level ticket status, including updates to project management software to reflect task progress and state
- Review, test, and provide feedback on work by other developers to ensure code quality. Submit ongoing work for review by peers and/or technical lead
- Write client test plans instructing clients how to set up and execute tests against changes made to the software
- Complete training and tutorials to learn new languages and skills to better support clients; Research best practices and understands code structure and organization of code
- Identify issues with existing code and proactively suggest recommended changes to prevent challenges in the future
- Accumulate domain knowledge around existing clients and projects to assist them with ongoing needs
- Prepare project code releases, coordinate changes with client, and send code to production upon approval from quality assurance; provide hotfixes or project releases, as needed
- Ensure high-level requirements are gathered to provide guidance to Technical Team for proper story writing
- Bring new staff members up to speed on project configuration and prepares them to contribute as part of the technical team
- Assign tasks in partnership with CQL’s Project Managers to ensure all tasks are accomplished
What Training, Skills, or Qualifications Do I Need?
We know you are probably a great candidate, however, there are a few things we would like to see in your background:
- Bachelor’s degree specializing in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience developing and managing eCommerce websites
- At least 5 years of experience in eCommerce web development
- Extensive experience in PHP and mySQL
- Advanced experience with Magento 2 Development and CMS platforms
- Advanced experience with HTML5, and CSS, SASS
- Knowledge of API Integrations and creation
- Knowledge of Theme Integration and Customization
- Working knowledge of Cloud Platforms, Version Control Systems (such as Git or Mercurial), Jenkins, Gulp, Jira, Confluence, Git Hub, and Bit Bucket
- Experience working in Agile development environments; utilizing Scrum principals to execute projects
What Kind of Experience or Training is Good to Have?
While not required, it is great if you have the following:
- Magento 2 Certification
CQL is a commerce agency that connects inspiring brands with the people who love them. We serve retailers and manufacturers with a cross-discipline team that delivers strategic insights, design-thinking, and unparalleled technical expertise.
Over our nearly 25 years in business, we have designed and built consumer-direct ecommerce websites, distributor portals, and connected-retail solutions. Together with our partners like Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Workarea, Microsoft, and Magento we have built global ecommerce platforms, helped challenger brands differentiate themselves with custom applications and guided the launch of multiple digital ventures.
Our goal has never changed from the early years – which is to help make technology simple and the commerce experience compelling.
Our Core Values are the foundation of our team. We expect our team members to uphold these values at work and within the community.
- Think Forward – Solve problems. Drive innovation. Be creative. Expand views. Use imagination. Find fulfillment. Challenge the status quo.
- Drive Results – Accomplish goals. Achieve ROI. Deliver value-provide leadership. Help grow. Make each other better.
- Serve with Integrity – Be reliable. Be accountable. Consistently work hard. Be fair. Have purpose. Act authentically.
- Foster Teamwork – Be positive. Be encouraging. Collaborate. Demonstrate citizenship. Welcomes constructive criticism. Be accepting. Celebrate strengths. Support others. Be empowering. Be nurturing. Appreciate differences. Celebrate diversity. Permission to act.
- Live Passionately – Drive for success. Be obsessed. Stay engaged. Be committed. Be self-motivated.
- Dedication to Craft – Be a craftsperson. Learn. Teach. Inspire process.
CQL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or protected Veteran status.